1.30.2008

Settling Down


I don't know Daniel and Ashley's love story. Although I could guess it must have been a tough road they passed before they tied that knot and settled down.

They say, it's every girl's dream to walk down the aisle someday and get married. Well, I have the same dream.

But I know my dream will have to wait a little longer. Anyway they also say, I'm still young to get married. I should enjoy life and have fun. There will come a day when I will be ready, like Ashley maybe when she walked down that aisle.

But when do we really know when we are ready? Is it like lightning that just strikes you and you're okay? Or is it like a quiz you take, and when you pass- then you're in it. Is it like running in a field where there are many obstacles... and the fastest who gets the race done, gets the prize. Is that how love works?

Do you realize you are ready when you imagine there's no other person you want to wake up with every morning but him? Whenever you see his eyes, you sparkle from within. And when he's not there, it is your heart that's broken...

Is that how you realize when you are ready?

How do you take the plunge?

Is settling down just a matter of saying yes, or I do. Is everything settled when those words are finally uttered? Is marriage as simple as a three-lettered word that's so easy to say... yet, so hard to do.

Yes to what? A life of compromise with a partner all your lives? Yes to obligations, responsibilities and everything that comes with being married? Yes to happiness and sadness altogether, for there will be rough times. And there will also be good times.

To the good and the bad- do you really say yes to them all?

If it's not that easy as it seems, then why do we dream about getting into it? Are we not complete if we do not end up in happy endings? If we do not dress up like princesses on wedding days.. and if we do not get to kiss the man of our dreams.

I ask because maybe I have doubts about the way I dream about these things...

It's taking so long...

Yes, things are taking so long when you want them too bad.

No comments: