12.03.2007

Ratings, eh?


I couldn't take it watching TV Patrol today.

I mean, why did they have to report about themselves? Like how the government (as they said) were apologetic for saying they will investigate some media entities with regards to the Manila pen Siege? Or how they defended themselves when they decided not to pull out from the site?

From someone who was there and saw it happen, here are my two-cents worth views.

"The Scoop"

And so they got all the exclusive shots from inside when the thing was happening. But the question is- was that a wise decision to stay when authorities have instructed the media to leave?

I am guilty of not following Gen. Barias the first time he asked us to leave before the 3pm deadline. When he told me to leave, I went up with my crew and went where most of the media were. I was as I remember, one of those who cheered when he was pushed outside by the Magdalo.

But I was thankful my network had this management call to ask us to leave the hotel before the assault. That's the wisest management decision for me.

Never mind not having all the exclusive videos- at least we can be proud of two things:
*Management cares for their people than the story or the scoop
*We follow instructions.

As they say, no story is worth dying for. Like Kuya Jun R said-- Wala ng sumusweldong bayani ngayon.

I mean, we are media people. We are not heroes. We deliver the news-- we are NOT the news. We should be first to follow instructions-- not first to violate them.

And so when our lives are put in danger, let us not blame other people. Let us not overreact and rant about how government is unfair towards us.

We were all told to leave. At least our desk officers, our bosses were told to leave before that assault deadline-- WHY DID THERE HAVE TO BE A CHOICE, mister?

I understand the desire for a scoop-- and how the people deserve to know what's happening. But I guess not at the expense of saving lives. Or at least, not at the expense of blaming it all on government.

Was it just about the ratings now?

If so, I so hate this job.

No comments: