11.03.2007

Oh! Erap

Today I covered Erap's visit in Tondo.

My first major assignment when I began to work as a reporter was to cover Erap's Trial at the Sandiganbayan.

I still vividly remember being there when the defense presented their first evidence. When I was transferred to another beat, I remember the defense evidence has reached more than three hundred.

I felt sad I wasn’t there when he testified for his own trial. At least it was Paolo who was there at that time.


The whole year I covered the Sandiganbayan- I never saw Erap inside the courtroom. I only saw him when he went out for a medical check-up prior to his operation in Hongkong.

When I transferred to GMA 7, I covered Erap at least twice-

Before his verdict- in his residence in Polk, and after his verdict- in his Tanay resthouse.

How I wished so hard I would be assigned to cover the day of his verdict- but I guess I was unlucky. I was assigned that fateful day of September 12 to some other place- the business beat.

At least I told myself- I was able to cover the last day everyone involved in the trial would appear before the Special Division court- the day he presented his motion for reconsideration on the guilty verdict.

Today I covered Erap’s visit in Tondo.

And how tiring that was. Everyone was so excited to see the former president. I can’t explain what magic he has to charm all these people.

He still has, as he said in my interview- the people's support. They’re indeed still with him.

I’m not one to comment about Erap- I leave that to Paolo.

Whatever Erap did to deserve what he went through the last six years- sure God has his reasons.

Whatever Erap did to deserve his freedom now- sure God still has his reasons.

One day, I’ll have the video of his speech this morning to show my children. In the midst of chaos as everybody else in Tondo wanted to catch a glimpse of the former president-

I saw myself there- at one point taking his photos as well.

Was I also caught by his charm? I don’t know. I can’t say.

No comments: